|Bioshock background poster or MRA ad? You Make the call!|
I've never had any particular affection for Billy Joel up until a few months ago. I can't say I ever hated him; the guy who wrote and sang Piano Man, My Life and Just The Way You Are* is not somebody I can ever really hate. But I've never really given the man any real consideration until I started hearing Movin' Out on my way to work on one of three oldies stations that come clear in a commute from Menomonee Falls to Delafield. I still can't say I'm a huge Joel fan, but I can say that I plan on getting one of his albums one day (either 52nd Street or a Greatest hits album).
In my brief time paying attention to Joel's career, I've found myself flabbergasted by the man's ability to function as a musical drifter; wandering to whichever style he desires for a song. And that's just a fancy way of sayin' I was surprised as hell to find out he was the guy who wrote and sang The Longest Time.
* Though, let's be honest with ourselves, Barry White sung it better.
P.S. I cannot in leave this post without making some commentary on the video. As such, here are some brief bullet points:
- Does the school seriously expect one old janitor to clean up that friggin' mess? Man, the administrators of this high school are cheap bastards.
- Billy Joel in a bad wig, cheap suit and and huge glasses is just funny to me and I don't know why.
- I wonder if all these guys decided to reform their Doo Wop group just to cheer Joel up.
- The one in the black suit looks like a made man in the Mob.
- '84 Billy Joel looks about as teen-aged as Sean Connery looks Japanese.
|He looks like a Romulan without the pointy ears|
- Are none of the rooms in this school locked?
- I wonder what these guys explained their morphing back to their teenage selves to their wives, bosses, friends and children. Hell, getting pulled over by the cops will probably get their driver's licenses cut up as fake IDs.
- That was kind of a weak double take, my dear Janitor.