Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Obsessed Review: Ghostbusters (1984)

I love this movie!


... It's amazing. Go watch it.

What, you want a deeper analysis? Okay, but first, personal history.

Ghostbusters was my first geeky obsession. Love both movies, watched Real and Extreme Ghostbusters, had a toy Ecto-1 and read its 88MPH mini series. Hell, ghostbusters.net introduced me to fan fiction. (Don't worry, I've never written any and I don't plan to ever.)It's one of my childhood favorites and, tied with Casablanca, is my pick for Best Movie I've Ever Seen In My Life.

I love you guys!
So, yeah, this is probably going to be biased towards positive. But, honestly, I've watched this movie probably 20 times by now and I can't find a single thing wrong with it.

The movie's plot? Don't we all know it already! Fine then, I'll recap. Three scientist (hyper genius Egon Spengler, lovable geek Ray Stantz and lothario Peter Venkman) all find themselves out of work when their university kicks them out for their paranormal research. The guys, armed with knowledge of the supernatural and unlicensed nuclear accelerators (and the money the got from selling Ray's childhood home), they start up a paranormal investigation and extermination business, eventually bring in straight man Winston Zeddemore in and discovering the plot of an ancient Sumerian god to possess Luis Tully and Dana Barrett and bring about the end of the world.

I love you, Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!
This movie, as Roger Ebert put it, is one of those rare comedies that can balance wit, action and good characterization. Mostly because everyone in front and behind the camera are all pros. With the possible exception of Ernie Hudson (who knocks this early role out of the park for the small time he gets) everyone is in their prime. Reitman's directing is superb, the script is witty and well paced, and the actors  give it their all.
And you know what, I even love you, New York!
But like Blues Brothers with Chicago , the city of New York is a central a character to the film as the Boys in Gray are. Its landmarks, history and all around zeitgeist help mold the film into a unique and, in some ways, timeless. (Even if the hairstyles and youth of the cast screams the 1980's)

So, as I said, its amazing. Go watch it. Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment