Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, July 5, 2012

For The Love Of Robots

Robots For Everyone
Ever since I was a young boy, I loved robots. Big, small, humanoid or geometric, I loved em. Cyborgs, androids, mecha, Transformers, Zoids, even Gundams to an extent. I love robotics. Don't we all?

ROCKETTO PUNCH!!!
I've never been much of a science whiz. Nor am I anything more than a novice at engineering. But I've always loved building things and I've always appreciated intelligence and imagination. And robots, to me, are the pinnacle of those three things. They can be anything you want. Do things man has always been too limited to accomplish. They can be the salvation of all or the bringers of the apocalypse. They're precision, power, human ingenuity and perfection all rolled into one. They are the dreams and nightmares that are made by our own hand.
POW! Right in the kisser!

Now love of automatons is no new thing. Man has dreamed of clockwork men, golems and the modern day robot since time immemorial. they're a representation of man breaking his boundaries and going beyond what nature could establish. Hell, I'd argue the Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and the fairytale of Pinocchio  is probably the most inspirational works for stories of robotics. From the creature's slow walk (every 1950's robot you've ever seen), the tale of one man building a human facsimile and giving it life (Megaman, Kikaida, Edward Scissorhands) the ostracization and fear of the creature for being too inhuman looking (the uncanny valley). In fact, I'll say this right now: Pinocchio and Frankenstein's monster are officially the first robot stories. (And yes, the creature will be categorized as the first zombie as well. You'd be surprised how much zombies and robots have in common.)

Most importantly,  robots, in my opinion, can represent a perfection or greater humanity. The accomplishment of robot building has always been seen as a pinnacle of human achievement. Cyborgs and androids are often portrayed as superior to humans in physical ability.  And who hasn't made the connection to celebrities and inhuman perfection?

This picture..makes a lot of sense.
Is everything I've said correct? I'm not sure. All I can say with perfect accuracy is that I think robots are really damn cool.

P.S. We need more super intelligent robot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment