|The Yellow Unbuttoned Shirt of Justice!|
|It did give him a love of yellow, though|
Using his powers to escape Seagate, Carl Lucas proceeded to do several things:
- Visit the grave of the woman he loved and swear to avenge her death at the hands of Diamond Back (his former partner in crime and reason for his imprisonment)
- Change his name to Luke Cage (he was going to go with Carl Coppola, but he changed his mind)
- Started up Hero For Hire because, well, he was broke and really couldn't get a job since he was a prison escapee
- And have a terrible taste in costumes.
|"Hokey", isn't even the half of it, Carl.|
And so Luke Cage (aka Power Man) was born! Starting a new life which would lead him to a life of adventure, a bromance with Danny Rand, marriage to Jessica Drew, having a kid and joining the Avengers. That's pretty impressive for a punk kid from Harlem.
I was first introduced to Luke Cage thanks to my obsession with toys. Specifically, the Marvel Legends series, which Cage was in the "Mojo Series" wave of. I still own the reprint of issue one that came with the figure. From that I could ascertain two things:
- Luke had a massive chip on his shoulder. His anger is reasonable, but he sometimes can read as a man with severe rage issues. Or a stereotypical angry black man. Which leads me to...
- Cage (as a concept, anyway) was obviously born of a desire to cash in on the blacksploitation craze of the '70's. Strangely fitting then, that he and Iron Fist would become best friends (Danny himself being a blatant cash in on the Kung Fu craze of the same decade.